The IPEP leadership team and IPEP faculty are involved in a wide range of research projects aimed at documenting the qualitative and quantitative impact of our work. These research efforts have led to several recent publications which, along with case commentaries and papers that outline our pedagogical approach to relational learning and medical communication, are listed below.
For specific faculty publications please visit their profiles in the Meet the Team page.
Most Recent: 2017 to present
- Hayden M, Brown SD (in press). “I Sleep, but My Heart is Awake”: Negotiating Marginal States In Life And Death. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine. 2018.
- Truog RD. Defining Death—Making Sense of the Case of Jahi McMath. JAMA. Epub 2018 Apr 9.
- Antiel RM, Curlin FA, Lantos JD, Collura CA, Flake AW, Johnson MP, Rintoul NE, Brown SD, Feudtner C. Attitudes of paediatric and obstetric specialists towards prenatal surgery for lethal and non-lethal conditions. J Med Ethics. 2018 Apr; 44(4):234-238.
- Mishra A, Browning DM, Haviland M, Jackson ML, Luff D, Meyer EC, Talcott K, Kloek C. Communication skills training in ophthalmology: Results of a needs assessment and pilot training program. J Surg Educ. 2018 Mar - Apr;75(2):417-426. Epub 2017 Sep 1.
- Sarkany D, Debenedectis C, Brown SD, A Review of Resources and Methodologies Available for Teaching and Assessing Patient-Related Communication Skills in Radiology, Acad Radiol. Epub 2018 Jan 17.
- Callahan, MJ, Franceschi A, Brown SD, Chako S, and Walters M, Introduction, Pediatric Radiology: The Requisites, In: Walters M, Robertson RL, Blickman JG, eds. Philadelphia, PA : Elsevier, 2017
- Branch WT Jr, Weil AB, Gilligan MC, Litzelman DK, Hafler JP, Plews-Ogan M, Rider EA, Osterberg LG, Dunne D, Derse AR, Pittman JR, Frankel RM. How physicians draw satisfaction and overcome barriers in their practices: "It sustains me", Patient Educ Couns. 2017;100(12):2320-2330.
- Antiel R, Flake AW, Collura C, Johnson M, Rintoul N, Lantos J, Curlin F, Tilburt J,Brown SD, Feudtner C. Weighing the Social and Ethical Considerations of Maternal- Fetal Surgery. Pediatrics. 2017 Dec; 140(6). Epub 2017 Nov 3.
- Branch WT Jr, Frankel RM, Hafler JP, Weil AB, Gilligan MC, Litzelman DK, Plews-Ogan M, Rider EA, Osterberg LG, Dunne D, Derse AR, May NB. A multi-institutional longitudinal faculty development program in humanism supports the professional development of faculty teachers. Academic Medicine. 2017 Dec 1;92(12):1680-1686.
- Kemp JL, Mahoney MC, Mathews VP, Wintermark M, Yee J, Brown SD, Patient-Centered Radiology. Where are we, where do we want to be, and how do we get there? Radiology. 2017 Nov; 285(2):601-608.
- Antiel RM, Collura CA, Flake AW, Johnson MP, Rintoul NE, Lantos JD, Curlin F, Tilburt J, Brown SD, Feudtner C, Physician views regarding the benefits and burdens of prenatal surgery for myelomeningocele, J Perinatol. 2017 Sep; 37(9):994-998. Epub 2017 Jun 15.
- Brown SD, Rider EA, Jamieson K, Meyer EC, Callahan MJ, Benedectis C, Bixby SD, Walters M, Forman SF, Varrin PH, Forbes P, Roussin CJ, Development of a Standardized Kalamazoo Communication Skills Assessment Tool For Radiologists (KalRad): Validation, Multisource Reliability, and Lessons Learned. Am J Roentgenol. 2017 Aug;209(2):351-357.
- Brown SD, The Standoff. JACR. 2017 Apr, 14(4): 547-548.
- Meyer EC, Lamiani G, Luff D, Brown SD. Voices emerging from the shadows: Radiologic practitioners’ experiences of challenging conversations. Patient Education and Counseling. 2017 Feb (100):133-138.
- Lamiani G, Leone D, Meyer EC, Vegni E. Communicating bad news: Theory and practice for healthcare professionals. In: MF Freda & R De Luca Picione, editors. Healthcare and Culture: Subjectivity in Medical Contexts. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing (IAP), 2017; p. 101-120.
- DeBenedectis CM, Gauguet J-M, Makris J, Brown SD, Rosen MP, Coming Out of the Dark: A curriculum for teaching and evaluating radiology residents’ communications skills through simulation, JACR. 2017 Jan; 14 (1) 87–91.