The IPEP leadership team and IPEP faculty are involved in a wide range of research projects aimed at documenting the qualitative and quantitative impact of our work. These research efforts have led to several recent publications which, along with case commentaries and papers that outline our pedagogical approach to relational learning and medical communication, are listed below.
For specific faculty publications please visit their profiles in the Meet the Team page.
Most Recent: 2016 to present
- Brown SD, Rider EA, Jamieson K, Meyer EC, Callahan MJ, Benedectis C, Bixby SD, Walters M, Forman SF, Varrin PH, Forbes P, Roussin CJ, Development of a Standardized Kalamazoo Communication Skills Assessment Tool For Radiologists (KalRad): Validation, Multisource Reliability, and Lessons Learned. American Journal of Roentgenology. Aug;209(2):351-357. doi: 10.2214/AJR.16.17439.
- Kemp JL, Mahoney MC, Mathews VP, Wintermark M, Yee J, Brown SD, Patient-Centered Radiology. Where are we, where do we want to be, and how do we get there? Radiological Society of North America 2017 Nov; 285(2):601-608.
- DeBenedectis CM, Gauguet J-M, Makris J, Brown SD, Rosen MP, Coming Out of the Dark: A curriculum for teaching and evaluating radiology residents’ communications skills through simulation, JACR 2017 Jan; 14 (1) 87–91
- Meyer EC, Lamiani G, Luff D, Brown SD. Voices emerging from the shadows: Radiologic practitioners’ experiences of challenging conversations. Patient Education and Counseling 2017 Feb (100):133-138
- Lamiani G, Leone D, Meyer EC, Vegni E. Breaking Bad News: Theory and Practice for Healthcare Professionals’ Training. In: MF Freda & R De Luca Picione, editors. Healthcare and Culture: Subjectivity in Medical Contexts. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2016.
- Amaral ABCN, Rider EA, Lajolo PP, Tone LG, Pinto RMC, Lajolo MP, Calhoun AW. Development of a Brazilian Portuguese adapted version of the Gap-Kalamazoo communication skills assessment form. International Journal of Medical Education. 2016; 7:400-405.
- Langer T, Jazmati D, Jung O, Schulz C, Schnell MW. Medical students’ development of ethical judgment – Exploring the learners’ perspectives using a mixed methods approach. German Medical Science Journal of Medical Education. 2016; 33(5):1-17.
- Robinson M, Thiel MM, Zurakowski D, Shirkey K, Meyer EC. Efficacy of Training Interprofessional Spiritual Case Generalists. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 2016;19(8):814-821.
- Reid J, Stone K, Meyer EC. Communication and simulation. In: A Cheng & V Grant, editors. The Comprehensive Textbook of Healthcare Simulation: Pediatric edition. New York City, NY: Springer Publishing, 2016;291-298.
- Langer T, Martinez W, Browning DM, Varrin P, Sarnoff Lee B, Bell SK. Patients and families as teachers: a mixed methods assessment of a collaborative learning model for medical error disclosure and prevention. BMJ Quality & Safety, 2016 Aug;25(8):615-25.
- Cholli P, Meyer EC, David M, Moonan M, Mahoney J, Hession-Laband E, Zurakowski D, Bell SK. Family Perspectives on Whiteboard Use and Recommendations for Improved Practices. Hospital Pediatrics, 2016 July; 6(7):426-430.
- Luff D, Martin E, Mills K, Mazzola N, Bell SK, Meyer EC. Clinicians’ Strategies for Managing Their Emotions during Difficult Healthcare Conversations. Journal of Patient Education and Counseling, 2016 Jun; 28(16):30281-6.
- Langer T. Barriers and Bridges. Academic Pediatrics, 2016 June; 11(16):501-502.
- Luff D, Fernandes S, Soman A, Meyer EC, Brown SD. The Influence of Communication and Relational Education on Radiologists’ Early Posttraining Practice. JACR, 2016 Apr;13(4):445-448.
- Curley MA, Meyer EC. Upholding Family-Centered Care in the Face of High-Consequence Pathogens – Thinking Inside the Room. JAMA,2016 Mar;170(3):299.
- Plews-Hogan M, May N, Owens J, Ardelt M, Shapiro J, Bell SK. Wisdom in Medicine: What Helps Physicians After a Medical Error. Academic Medicine, 2016 Feb; 91(2):233-41.
- Coombs MA, Meyer EC. Tending to everyday and BIG conversations in teaching and practice. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 2016 Feb; 33:3-4.